Pages

Sunday 26 August 2018

Peep into the 20 year old boy CPF Account - Transfer from OA to SA

It had been some time since I wrote anything about CPF.

It had also been close to a year since I shared my last "peep" into my CPF Accounts. 

Read: Peep into the 19-year-old student CPF Account - Transfer from OA to SA 

I've decided to make it more meaningful this time round aside from sharing the figures alone, and I will briefly write to myself about my feelings, experience, and thoughts towards the process. 

Source: CPF Board - BRS 2016~2020




The CPF scheme is designed and created to help working Singaporeans and PRs to primarily fund their retirement, health care and housing needs.

For every dollar we've earned from our employment, the government and our employer is helping us to contribute and "subsidize" on our costs towards funding for our retirement, healthcare and even getting a house. 

For what it matters, perspective is important. 

I'm sure there's many who view the CPF as a "stupid" system that is siphoning our hard-earned monies and locking them in for years with zero or no chances of recovering them. 




Instead, I'd like to take this opportunity to remind every reader that the monies in our CPF are still our hard-earned money! The CPF is, in fact, a benefit and privilege offered by our local government to help the citizens. 

There is several ways which we will be able to access to our monies, and we must clearly remember what the CPF is here for. 

I'm sure you would have an option to withdraw your monies from your CPF after you've hit 55 years old, should you be able to meet the FRS! 

Okay, I shall not be too talkative now and here are the numbers after 1 year:

When I share my ideas about the CPF system to my peers and colleagues weeks ago and told them about the transfer from my CPF OA-SA account, I was actually mocked and criticize for my stupidity to further lock the funds I have in my CPF account! 

After reading AK's post this morning, I realize that I'm not alone! 

Read: CPF SA time and income lost due to peer pressure

As a reminder, I hope that everyone will be able to clearly understand that the transfer from CPF OA-SA is irreversible. Having that said, please be mindful and not forget your current profile before doing so. 




Should you be needing the funds in your OA for housing needs or so, please do not follow whatever I've written here today.

I'm not trying to advocate for anyone to do what I've done, but to share about my thoughts and sentiments with regards to the CPF transfer. 




Having that said, this is my 3rd full transfer from OA-SA I've done.

The transfer is done in consideration to my current profile and following reasons:
  1. I'm 20 years old today, and I'm very certain that I will not be needing the funds in my OA today or in the near upcoming years. 
  2. The transfer from OA-SA is done to maximize the interest I'll earn from CPF. As the total figure I have in my SA is below S$40,000, I will be earning a 5% interest for the funds inside today.
  3. The transfer is also done so that I will be able to reach FRS as early as possible.

As far as we know, the CPF OA is offering 2.5% interest and the SA is offering 4% interest.

Reaching FRS as early as possible?


The increase in Full Retirement Sum in the recent years from 2014-2020 ranges between 4.74% - 2.84%, with the increase stabilizing in the late 4 years. 

The growth rate on average since 2004-2020 of our FRS stands at 4.88% yearly. With our CPF SA account paying 4% interest to us, we do not need to work that hard to ensure that we will be able to withdraw our funds at 55 years old. 

Assuming that the CPF FRS is set to increase by 3% yearly from 2020 onwards and that I've already attained the Full Retirement Sum, I should be able to rest well with my pillows up high that I will be able to make a withdrawal of any amount I have on top of the FRS from my CPF account when I turn 55 years old. 




In short, the earlier we reach FRS, the lesser work is required on our end. 

The government will be helping us with the workload to ensure that we have enough for our retirement. 

So instead, to dwell on the fact that you've insufficient funds and you're not able to withdraw any monies from the CPF, you could always consider making good use of this scheme!


You will also be able to look for me on some other platforms:
1. FB Page - The sleepydevil
2. InvestingNote - sleepydevil
3. SGX Cafe - sleepydevil
4. You may also subscribe to receive my latest email updates here.

8 comments:

  1. :-)

    You haven't taste the full power of cpfis compounding as investor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Uncle CW,

      Yes. I believe if CPFIS is best made use of the CPF return will rocket to a next level. But CPFIS OA need to set aside 20k while CPFIS SA require you to set aside 40k.

      Sadly, my case now still relatively far away from it. Also, for now, with too little knowledge and experiences in the field, even if I have a good sum in my CPF account, I would probably leave it as my “last war chest” to fire my bullets on during big financial storm.

      More to learn from. More to learn from.. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi! Very refreshing to read that you have understood the importance of profile/perspective. (age? married? need house? want house? expected cost of house? got kids? planning for kids? got parents? parents' age?) Without it, all these talk of CPF numbers are meaningless :P

    turtleinvestor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi TI,

      There is always two camps for each take and no one is absolutely right. What I am doing today might be good for me, but wouldnt be for one if the person is getting married next year and looking towards to get the first property.

      I’m still far from being knowledable and hope that more seniors like you along the way would provide more input for me to learn from :)

      Delete
    2. In many ways, I'm still a novice. We shall learn together in this journey yeah? Keep blogging - we need both young and ahem*old*ahem bloggers in this community hahaha. There is much for me to learn from you too :D

      Delete
    3. Hi TI,

      I’m flattered by your words. Will definitely continue to blog about my journey here. With a vast amount of individuals voicing out different things, this is where we will be able to have a more holistic view about our finances :)

      Delete
  3. Who can predict singapore in 35 years time?
    With aging population which will show it’s effect from 2030, CPF will be strained. Look at the changes to medishield life and eldershield in recent years. I will not even bet on what will citizens be allowed to withdrawn at age 55.
    When young, it is ok to make mistakes as time is on our side. I lost more than a 100 thousands in my investment but have recovered beyond and beckme wiser. Enjoy life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AT,

      Thank you for your kind words. We will not know how the world looks like even tomorrow. I’m guessing no one has the perfect crystal ball in their hands :)

      I do not know what will happen. All I know is to get myself mentally prepared, be open and ready for changes that will surface.

      There is always 2 side to a coin and our perspectively is heavily reliant on which side we view the coin from.

      And you’re right. Time is a very useful yet finite tool that we possess as a human. With fingers crossed, I do hope that my mistake will allow me to learn in the future!

      Delete