Pages

Friday 26 October 2018

Being Frugal or Being Cheapskate?

Everyone is born with a different spoon in their mouth. Some entered the world with a golden spoon right up while some are out with a plastic one. Nonetheless, I believe that majority of us today should be contented that regardless of spoon they're having, they actually have one.



Comparing to the slightly unfortunate ones in some other neighboring countries who probably not have any spoon to go with, we should be glad and count ourselves lucky.




Personally, I do not have the privilege when I enter the world 20 years ago to be fed with what we see in the image up there. Or rather, I should be. But the spoon happens to fell to another wing of the tree and I've come to earth with a disposable spoon in my mouth.

In fact, I believe that this is the best gift I'd ever receive from God. Who would ever know what these rich families could be engaged in just like the dramas we see out there?



I'm honored and blessed to come to this world and definitely more than happy to have my family with me. The experience of my childhood might not be perfect but I certainly know and am aware that I have a loving family to begin with till some time later. 

Soon later, my family enrolled themselves in a dangerous and sticky financial situation.

Having to live through such a childhood had brought awareness to me about perspectives and making financial decisions prudently while I'm growing up.




As a result, I became more conscious when it comes to taking monies out of my pocket and more commonly I'm perceived as a cheapskate to my friends.

Probably due to differences in each eye for how money is perceived, I'm a cheapskate for most of the time.


Having that said, I'm still a human and I do have my soft spots as well. I certainly believe that as a human we should not thrift ourselves too much to the point we are living just to build our bank account balances. 

We should also have a fair share of entertainment and enjoyment to keep our lives occupied. 

Shortly after, I got a taste of what my family went through myself in a miniature way as I got over-whelmed and complacent by what we can do with money.

So am I fortunate? I guess I certainly am.




This bad event had turned out to be another lesson that constantly reminds me to not ever fall into such a situation ever again and had educated me on the word - DISCIPLINE. 

Read: A letter to my 30-Year-Old Self - 10 Years Ago



We can be prudent but it's also essential for us to have discipline.

As a human, we are all brought up differently. We have different speed of learning and different perspective towards the issue. But however, I do believe that we are the only person that should be responsible for our well-being and wealth. 




It is never good to not take responsibility for your own positions when it comes to the financial aspect.

Before we even jump into any topic of investment, I strongly believe that managing your own finances is the most important lesson one could pick up.

When we earn, it's important for us to know about saving too. 

If we don't learn how to save up, we will not be having a choice or say when an unfortunate event arises.




Yes, you will then be in the mercy of your situation. 

So am I a cheapskate?

Part 2 coming soon.

You will also be able to look for me on some other platforms:
1. FB Page - The sleepydevil
2. InvestingNote - sleepydevil
3. SGX Cafe - sleepydevil
4. You may also subscribe to receive my latest email updates here


No comments:

Post a Comment